Sunday, February 12, 2017

Varnish

In a previous post I mentioned an auction that I was bidding on for a set of heavyweight Norfolk and Western passenger cars to go behind the J class locos that I own. Unfortunately I was sniped at the last second so I lost out on them.

Instead I obtained a set of Con Cor unlettered heavyweight cars in green paint from a source on the N scale Yahoo group. I also purchased a set of four Model Power heavyweight coaches in Army livery (to me they look just like Lima cars but according to the N Scale Encyclopedia they have differences in some of the detailing. I have a set of the Lima cars in PRR paint but haven't closely compared them) from MB Klein. These will be stripped and painted in N&W livery instead.

I also have a full set of Con Cor smoothside passenger cars, some are already painted for the N&W and some need to be done. This will give me two full consists of cars for the two locomotives. The N&W had both types that were pulled behind the J class, mostly in mixed consists along with a handful of Pullman cars, so I'll have to get a few of them as well.

I have fifteen cars in all to deliver to the paint shop with the decals next month, hopefully I'll be getting them back before the train show season begins in earnest.

No comments: