Thursday, March 30, 2017

Geeps

Last Sunday one of my GP7's hit the floor. No cosmetic damage, but now it's not running right. Initially when power is applied the lights come on nice and bright, but when the loco starts moving the lights dim and it slows down to a stop. Reversing directions creates the same problem. This happens in DC or DCC.

I've had the issue before and reseating the decoder board fixed it. This time, no joy. So I ordered a decoder board from Bachmann, and while I was looking the decoder board up I found one on sale through Newegg for about the same amount as the decoder. So of course I ordered them both.

The decoder came in yesterday and I installed it this morning, but I am still having the same problem with it. I disassembled it and checked the gears, there was a bit of fuzz in the worms so I cleaned everything up and reassembled it. No joy, still the same problem.

So today the new unit is supposed to be here and the old one will go out to Bachmann for repairs.

No comments: