Sunday, March 11, 2018

Scenery

It's about time I finally posted some of the scenery that has been done already.

The train room is in a state of flux right now as I am rearranging things. This necessitated the separation of the two halves of the layout, so while they were apart and more or less moveable I decided to do some scenicing using some of the items salvaged off of the layout mentioned in the previous post.

Most of the structures that I salvaged are going to have to be disassembled (they were glued together with what looks like rubber cement) and cleaned before being reassembled, but they were good for place markers. Other items I was able to transplant without too much trouble, and some of the scenes I was able to lift completely off with their underlaying turf intact and use as-is.

So, without further ado, here are some of the results:


Trucks in the gravel parking lot of the trackside transfer. This was the building I chose to stand in for the meat packing plant on the prototype, it looks nothing like the building in question but then again the only thing that is following the prototype at this point is the basic track layout...mostly.


A covered hopper takes a load of grain from the elevator while a couple of farmers get things they need at the feed store.


Today at the church we have a burying...


and a marrying.


Thankfully no one has been agitating for the removal of this statue at the Jamestown Memorial Park.


The cabin here serves as the park offices.


Some of the locals have put on a play in the open air theater at the park.


The milk man and the ice cream man are both doing well as one resident gets ready to go to work and another mows his lawn.


Meanwhile, under the old shade tree, there's some snuggling going on!


The neighborhood kids take a chance to enjoy the pool while school is out across the street.


Some fruit on the trees and some veggies in the hothouse contribute to a well balanced dinner table.

As it stands the scenery is about half done. I'm having some troubles deciding how the downtown is going to look, not helped by the prototype since "downtown" was several miles away from the railroad stations. Also, since I've been in the North Raleigh Model Railroad Club I've been exposed to some bad influences, so to speak, so now my empty buildings just don't look right...which means I am having to do some interior building and maybe even some lighting before I'm all done. It may make me a better modeler, but it sure does add some complications.

The worst part about all of this is my layout is non-operational for the time being. Good thing I have a collection of Unitrack to fall back on when the urge to run trains overtakes me.

In other news...I really do have too much junk in my train room. I'm probably going to have to go on an extensive downsizing spree soon.

No comments: