Monday, April 8, 2019

T-TRAK update - Dragon Falls

I have been working on my double straight module which I have named Dragon Falls. Here's where I am so far:

 The wedding cake was carved and Sculptamolded, then painted. Mrs Hades wanted a dragon, so his cave was carved out of the left handed peak. The river bottom was painted in anticipation of the water pour, my first attempt at this on any layout. Of course this is also my first attempt at going vertical with my scenery, so there is that.

 I painted behind the proposed waterfall to look like rock faces and I think it turned out pretty well. Note the nut in the barrel.

 Mrs Hades' dragon is guarding his stash.

 So far so good. I really like the way the rocks turned out, another first for me. Now I need to do some ground cover before getting into the water.

And speaking of ground cover I was kind of worried about putting the trees on this thing. I mean, look at those mountains, they're straight up and down! No way I can put realistic trees on them, the trunks would look ridiculous! And then I got to looking at some pictures I had taken along the Blue Ridge Parkway, in the Appalachians, which is what I'm going for, and I noticed something.


 (Nice car, huh? ;) )


 In none of these pictures do I see tree trunks! In fact, in none of these pictures do I see trees at all, I see woods. I see forest. I don't see individual trees! The trunks are hidden by underbrush and other foliage. So, perhaps this won't be so tough after all.


I had some trees from the layout I decommissioned, so I went ahead and stuck them on here. A lot of them are just wire wrapped around toothpicks and covered with ground foam, but they worked out pretty well. I then stuck some clump foliage at the bottom and around the rocks and meadow area.

I think it turned out pretty well, now I need to do the other side and get some water poured. And then...I only have five more modules to complete for a full set. So far I am pleased with the results.

No comments: