Thursday, August 12, 2021

Well...damn.

 I got the 1.65B EPROM for my PowerCab, installed it and...the WFD-31 still doesn't work.

I am in contact with the manufacturer, he is right on top of things and hopefully he can figure something out. Right now he suspects there is an issue with my PowerCab cab bus, but since I've only ever run it as a single unit without any other throttles attached I can't say for sure. What I can say is it isn't communicating with the WFD-31.

It is still working as a stand-alone unit, so I'm not dead on the rails anyway. I sure wish it would work though because I was really looking forward to using my cell phone as a throttle. I am hopeful the manufacturer can figure something out, but I have a sinking feeling it will have to go to Oz to find out for certain. I have an equally disturbing feeling that once the WFD-31 checks out my PowerCab will have to go to NCE to be checked out as well, leaving me with the choice between the Bachmann DCC system that has proven to be problematic and running DC.

In other news, I made another dual gauge turnout.


Believe it or not this one was even tougher than the last one because all the fiddly bits are between the standard and narrow gauge stock rails. In particular, look how the narrow gauge stock rail from the points to the first frog (the middle rail that runs from all the way to the right to where it ends at the bend) has to narrow to a point in order to clear the standard gauge straight pathway as well as the narrow gauge curved.


All of these gaps are super tricky and critically essential. I spent a lot of time with the files on this one before soldering on the new pieces, but this time I was smart about it and soldered everything in from the outside to the inside, including the points onto the throwbar.

I'm happier with the way this one turned out as compared to the last one, the rails are straighter and the guard rails better aligned.

But of course...it was supposed to be a left hand turnout and it's a right.

I'm certainly getting in a lot of practice though.

No comments: