Saturday, July 8, 2023

Revival

When first I got involved in NTRAK I was a nearly-retired Navy man stationed in Virginia Beach, and my "home" club was South Hampton Roads NTRAK. The club met upstairs in a church in Norfolk and made regular appearances at the local train shows. I retired in February 2005 and moved to Raleigh (but didn't join the Raleigh club until January 2016).

Late in 2022 the club lost its space above the church. They reached out to the North Raleigh and Richmond Area NTRAK clubs to adopt their modules. Since they were my first NTRAK home, I wanted to make sure that something of the club survived. I rented a U-Haul and emptied the church out with the help of two NRMRC members and several folks from RANTRAK.

These modules have sat in my shed since December. They are old, heavy and outdated, the wiring is nowhere near where it needs to be for modern operations and the corners are all 3 footers. Because of the work needed to bring them up to spec and all I have going on in other parts of my life, I haven't taken the time to do anything with them. Yet.

Every year in late September the Eastern N Lines Partnership sets up an NTRAK layout in the Pepsi building for the Old 97 Rail Days in Danville VA. This year, due to a concert being given over the festival, we have lost our space in the Pepsi building and will be in the basement of Danville Station right next door. This necessitated a redesign of our layout. The redesign needs a 3 foot corner.

I happen to have five of them...

Looks like one of the 3 footers gets to escape the scrap heap at least.

No comments: