Friday, June 13, 2008

The Initial Roster

So far I have collected locomotives and rolling stock that is either related to the East Broad Top or that I have found curious. I have one Mogul, one American, and one Mikado.

The Mogul was supposed to be a model of the EBT's engine #1 but it is oversize in several aspects. First off, the boiler is way too big. The EBT engine's boiler was 36 inches and the model is 60", the EBT's drivers were also 36" and the model's is 44". My plans are to update the tender - or not, because it is an interesting 6 wheel design - and re-designate it as a PVRR locomotive. In the process it will lose a sand dome and become a very different locomotive.

The American is a narrowed Bachmann 4-4-0 that I did just to see if I could. It's a rather large engine, larger even than the Mogul, and as such is probably bigger than most narrow-gauge Americans that roamed the rails in the late 1800's. I'm seriously considering updating it with a new cab from RLW, maybe expanding the boiler front a bit to make it a straight boiler, some new domes and stack, and some tender detail in the hopes I can make it a bit more modern and give the illusion that it was special built for the PVRR in the late teens or early 20's. I might just leave it as it is though.

The Mikado is, and will continue to be, an EBT locomotive. It's purpose will be to deliver East Broad Top coal to the PVRR and occasionally bring the EBT's President over for a visit or two since I have built a copy of the Orbisonia in Nn3.

Rolling stock is limited to one combine built from a narrowed Bachmann old-timer, one flatcar since it's too short to be an authentic EBT car, and a narrowed Bachmann bobber caboose. I'll build a few Bachmann coaches for the PVRR, maybe a few other passenger cars from other N scale cars, some undecorated boxcars either from RLW or Micro Trains, and some wooden hoppers.

The hoppers will have to be scratch-built because I haven't seen any kits or RTR cars. They will be based on a design that the EBT used early in it's life. They will be augmented by some steel cars of EBT/Pressed Steel design built from RLW kits.

Mining loads will be a part of the PVRR's traffic, although what and how much will be mined is up in the air at present. Maybe I'll make something up. The area is rich in coal and iron, although iron mining halted in the early 1900's.

The time frame is likewise fluid, but can be any time after 1894. That was the year the N&SV attempted to drill through the Conococheague and failed. Locomotives and rolling stock will have to reflect the era, but that gives me a pretty large field to work with.

No comments: