Thursday, April 5, 2012

What The Heck Am I Thinking?!?


For some reason I've agreed to convert an N scale Bachmann 4-4-0 to Nn3.

I've done a couple of them so far, I sold the best running one and the pictured one makes regular laps around my Nn3 oval. It doesn't back up very well, but all in all, especially considering the extremely reasonable price (I picked it up for $15 at a train show), it's a pretty good loco for the money.

This one started out as the Union Pacific 119, the other one I did started out life as the Jupiter. Since these models were made Bachmann has redesigned them with different paint, better motors and drive shafts. Note the rather large drive shaft on this one, it makes problems when converting them to run on tighter curves.

Garth Hamilton used to have a pretty good tutorial on doing this but I can't find it now. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information anywhere else on the web, either, but there are bits and pieces here and there. That is a shame because the Bachmann conversion is probably the cheapest way to get into Nn3, even though it isn't for the beginner.

Because of the lack of information regarding this conversion I'm going to be taking plenty of pictures during this conversion and documenting the entire thing start to finish. That way if anyone else wants to try it out I can just point the way to the post, or series of posts. This will be the first set of posts with a label.

I guess it is a good way for me to get back into modeling, even if it is just a little bit.

No comments: